September 19, 2011

Refrigerator Dill Pickles

I love pickles. I always have. Remember those big jars of full of pickles that they used to sell at concession stands or the movie theater? Yeah, I was the kid who bought those. I remember telling my husband this years ago and he laughed. Mostly because he had never heard of a movie theater selling pickles, but also because he didn't know anyone ever chose pickles over chocolate.

When I heard about making your own pickles in the refrigerator I knew I had to try it. I'm so glad I did. These were perfectly crunchy with a fantastic flavor. Ten times better than any pickle ever sold at a concession stand.

Here's how I made them:

Refrigerator Dill Pickles
clean quart jar
3 kirby cucumbers
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup water
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon sugar
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1/4 onion, sliced
1 teaspoon dill seed


In a saucepan combine vinegar, water, salt and sugar and bring to a boil. While waiting for the liquid to boil wash the cucumbers, slice both end off and cut into wedges. Add the garlic, onion, and dill seed to the jar.


Pack the cucumber spears into the jar.


Once the brine comes to a boil slowly pour it over the cucumbers. Place the lid back on and allow to cool. Store in the refrigerator for at least two days before eating. The longer you wait to eat them the more pickle-y and less cucumber-y they get.


And if your house is anything like mine you won't have to worry about them going bad because they will be quickly eaten, but if not they should keep up to a month in the refrigerator. Enjoy!

A little side note: The jar may seal during the cooling process, mine did, but according to the USDA this doesn't make your pickles shelf stable.


Posted at: 
Made By You Mondays at Skip To My Lou
Strut Your Stuff Saturday at Six Sisters' Stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment