November 17, 2010

Bran Muffins


I have always loved bran muffins. I think they are just so good. In my opinion a good bran muffin has to be super moist and the top should be just a bit sticky. I really could eat one just about every day.

I decided to make some at home a couple of years ago and was dismayed by the ingredients that went into these muffins. I had always thought they were healthy. No wonder they tasted so good, a lot of the recipes were full of oil and sugar. And the few recipes I did try didn't live up to my expectations. They were lacking flavor and on the dry side. So, I made up my own healthier recipe. I have to be honest, I am pretty proud of myself for writing my own baking recipe. For me, savory dishes are easier to create and improvise, baking is much more exact. I was obviously super excited when the muffins turned out and tasted good. Plus, if the online calorie calculators can be trusted each muffin only has 140 calories and are loaded with fiber and protein. Not a bad breakfast or snack.


Bran Muffins (Yields 1 dozen)
1 1/4 cup wheat bran
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1 cup nonfat milk
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 ripe banana, mashed
1 egg
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup white all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries (optional)

(I know, I know. There are a lot of ingredients. Trust me, the recipe is really simple.)

Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees. Grease your muffin tin or line with paper muffin cups. 

In a medium bowl combine the wheat bran, ground flax seed, milk, lemon juice, and cinnamon and set aside. Let stand for 10 minutes. 

 In a separate bowl beat together applesauce, banana, egg, sugar and vanilla. Add in the milk/bran mixture and mix to combine.
 

Sift together flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir flour mixture into bran mixture until just blended. Fold in raisins or cranberries.

 Spoon into prepared muffin tins and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. 

Cool and enjoy! 

1 comment: