November 11, 2010

20 Minute Infinity Scarf


I love scarves. I think they are such a great accessory and pretty darn practical too. Plus, unlike my favorite pair of jeans or a shirt I really love, a scarf ALWAYS fits. There is something so nice and comforting about that fact. I made an infinity scarf (aka one big circle) out of this amazingly soft plaid. I have been wearing it pretty much constantly since I finished. It was so easy and I love how it turned out. If you are trying to think of quick and easy Christmas gifts this might just be a winner.

Here's what I did:
Cut a 1.75 yard piece of fabric (45 inches wide) lengthwise in half so you get two 22.5in x 1.75yd pieces. You will be able to make two scarves out of this. Or I guess you could get a 7/8yd piece of fabric, cut it in half and then sew it together to make a 1.75 yd piece and not have any extra material.

Fold the fabric in half long ways (right sides together) and pin it. Sew the seam leaving four inches at the beginning and end open. This is really important or it will be really hard a few steps later.

Iron open the seam.
Turn the fabric right side out and bring the two ends together. Starting on one side pin the ends. At this point your fabric should make a loop.
Sew the ends together.
You could hand stitch the opening shut and really try to hide the seam or, if you are like me, you can just sew really really close to the edge and hope that no one ever notices.

Not bad for a 20 minute scarf.
{Please ignore the bags under my eyes. The littlest one in the house has been wanting to party all night long lately.}


3 comments:

  1. Love this! And I have the perfect fabric too! Would love for you to come link up to Made with Love Monday at Sew Chatty! http://bit.ly/bSsG5b

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome! definitely will try this. :)

    molly
    www.threesisterz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute and you make it look so easy.

    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete